Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as Tools for Learning

It is important to tie technology to the objective because children today are born into technology.  They know nothing about a life without technology.  Having technology being apart of your lesson is going to be lead to more effective teaching.  Kids love when they can watch a Brainpop or a United Streaming video, and they get so much out of it!  I have also had parents ask me what apps we have on our school itouches because their child has come home and insisted they get the same at home.  This tells me that students are taking their learning home with them.  I don't think I could be any happier about that!

Technology is used in my classroom during literacy workstations and math. I have rules and routines with the itouches, and if those are broken, my students rights are temporarily taken away.  I love giving students choices and being ale to be in charge of their own learning.  Giving them this responsibility gives them ownership, and I think that is something that 21st century learners need.

Here are some websites I love!
www.brainpop.com -Brainpop is used in my classroom weekly.  I love it!  The kids can be quizzed on what they learn, which is super fun to them, but it helps me see where I need to step in and reteach.

www.spellingcity.com -Spelling city is new to me and I can't believe I just found out about it.  Kids can plug in their spelling words and their are so many games and activities that kids can play using their words.  Awesome!

Some apps that I found for the iTouch include:
Funny Flash (This one is neat because it morphs animals and then spells them out verbally and in print.)
Math Drill (Addition & Subtraction - primary grades.) Awesome for students learning their math facts!
Sight Words (Great way for students to learn their sight words.)

I would love to have my kids take pictures and video each other during school.  Documenting learning is my favorite thing to do.  It makes me so happy!  I think it would be fun to get the pictures and videos and create a movie for all of my kids. I think it would be so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment